A nine year old girl identified as Eliza Nampinga was electrocuted to death after getting into contact with a live Electricity Supply Commission of Malawi (ESCOM) pole on Thursday evening.
Nsanje Police Public Relations Officer, Sergeant Agnes Zalakoma, confirmed the development, saying the incident leading to the death of the Standard 3 learner at Nsanje Roman Catholic Primary School occurred within the Boma.
Zalakoma said the deceased was playing with her friends near a pole which fell due to strong winds, as a result of heavy rains the district experienced recently.
“Accidentally, Eliza touched a live cable attached to the pole and died on the spot,” Zalakoma told Malawi News Agency (Mana).
“Let me take this opportunity to advise parents and guardians to take care of their children during this rainy season to avoid more deaths due to similar accidents,” added Zalakoma.
Eliza Nampinga hailed from Suwali Village in the area of Senior Chief Malemia in the district.