SUICIDE CASES SPIKE IN FIRST QUARTER OF 2023, MEN MOST AFFECTED
[VACANCY] NEWS EDITOR
Timveni Child and Youth Media Organization is a child and youth media institution whose mandate is to empower children and youths of Malawi with knowledge and skills to enable them to become active participants in governance and civic space.
As an advocacy institution, Timveni uses media platforms namely Timveni Radio and Timveni TV to provide a platform for engaging youths and different stakeholders in championing and propagating the rights of children and youths in the country.
To strengthen the team in the delivery of well researched, documented and creative programming, Timveni seeks to recruit a News Editor.
Reporting to the Head of News and Current Affairs Department, the News Editor will be responsible for ensuring that Timveni’s news bulletins, updates and periodicals are “sound” and “palatable” and that they reflect the mandate of Timveni.
Roles and responsibilities
- Assign stories to reporters, liaise with the sub-editing and photography departments, and decide the priority and importance of news articles.
- Allocate space for articles, photographs, advertisements
- Edit stories to meet word limits
- Decide which stories make it into the edition
- Ensure that all stories read well and are grammatically and factually correct
- Oversee the work of staff and content
- Check for legal and ethical issues in a journalist’s copy.
- Help in designing page layouts for Timveni publications and periodicals and write headlines
- Promote house standards as stipulated in the editorial and content policy
Competencies and Qualifications
- Vast experience in a busy newsroom environment
- Knowledge of child rights
- Able to meet deadlines despite pressure
- Able to proofread, transcribe and translate bulletins, periodicals and other media content
- Minimum qualification is a Diploma in Journalism, those with a Degree in Journalism, Communication or Education (but with not less than 5 years experience in the media) will have an added advantage.
- Aged between 25 – 40, Females are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Address the letter to
The Station Manager,
Timveni Child and Youth Media Organization
Area 47, Sector 5,
Bwanje Street, House Number 397
Send your application letter and detailed curriculum vitae with 3 recent traceable referees to the following [email protected] or [email protected] or you can drop them at our offices at the above-mentioned address.
The deadline is Monday 31st January 2022.